Question
Posted by: sam | 2010-03-10

kidney stones

My son aged 22 has suffered with kidney stons for about 5 years.

He has an attack about twice a year. At the first attack he had the full xrays etc and went to hospital for it to be removed.

The specialist advised it was a uric acid stone (I think)

All the attacks hereafter have been self correcting with medication. When he has an attack the doctor gives him a buscopan " injection"  and this relieves teh pain immediately and he will be fine for about six months.

There is usually some blood in the urine.

He had another attack two days ago, an was given buscopan again, and this time was given a drip as well. There were some other drugs also administered - names unknown. This was not by our normal GP - as it was away from home..

He is drinking a fair amount of liquids now.

Please advise :

1 - Is he following the best course of action ?
2 - There is still some blood in teh urine now 2 days after his last attack. Is thsi OK and shoudl he advise his doctor ofthis ?
3 - Is blood in teh urine after an attack normal

Hallo Sam
Blood in the urine after a kidney stone is normal but they can develop infection post attack. If it is caused by uric acid stones, he may need to take preventative medication - ask your doctor to prescribe or refer him to a specialist for treatment. Urinary uric acid excretion can be reduced by a low-protein diet. Potassium citrate is the treatment of choice for the prevention of recurrence of uric acid stones. Allopurinol reduces the frequency of stone formation in patients with high uric acid with recurrent uric acid stones and/or gout.

2
Posted by: buddie | 2010-03-10

Sam I am not the docter, but I had the same, I know it is F****** sore, the blood in the urine is normal as the stone have very sherp points and when it come down the tube it scratch the vein. Lots and lots of water.I drank a glass of carrot juice per day (the carrot juice) brake the stone and it can move out.But he must drink at least 8 big classes of water a day.

Reply to buddie
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-03-10

Hallo Sam

Reply to cyberdoc