Posted by: steve | 2008-12-08

kidney stones

Hi I am male, 21 year sold and have suffered from kidney stones since I was 17. I have had one removed in hospital and teh rest have passed by themselves. The doctor recorded the one that passe as uric acid. Since then I have had attacks about six monthly. about two months ago I had a number of attacks in short time frame. I started taking VITAL Magesium tablets. I take 2 tablets (total 300 mg) per day. Since I started I have had almost no problems. last week I was away and did not take any tablets. I had another attack yesterday, which passed by itself.

I am making an effort to drink lots of liquid - mainly Lemos lemon juice and water

How safe is it to continue taking the VITAL tablets ?
What dosage do you recommend ?
It is probable that the Magnesium tablets are the relieving the kidney stones ?

Hi Steve
It depends on what kind of kidney stones you get - magnesium and vit B 6 prevents the forming of oxalate stones, uric acid stones are caused by high uric acid in urine - this can be hereditary and triggered by a high protein diet.
As long as you take the VITAL as recommended on the package you can continue, add Vit B6 too - it seems to have made a difference in your symptoms.