Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-03

Kidney stones

Dear diet Doc

What can a person drink to PREVENT kidney stones? I have a regular tendancy to get it but no renal failure has been diagnosed yet. I drink Citrus Soda once a day andI heard beer now and then helps, as well as cranberry juice to prevent infection.

Please advice...

Dear Anon
Citro soda, plenty of liquids, and cranberry juice do all help. It is important to find out what type of kidney stones you have - some are caused by an excess of calcium, other can even be caused by overdosing on vitamin C! Ask the dr what type of stones you develop and if he/she can suggest other treatments or investigations (for example some patients develop kidney stones if they have a problem with the parathyroid gland).