Question
Posted by: Das | 2010/08/30

Kidney stone

My son added 23 has been suffering from Kidney stones about every six months for the last 5 years. He will have a severe attack, and be given Buscopan which relieves the pain quite quickly, and he is back to normal for another six months. During this time he ha snot had any stones removes, nor has felt ant stone passing while urinating.

Last week during one attack he had a CT scan. The following is an extract from the radiologist report. “ At the pelvic brim on the right side there is a large renal calculus demonstrated causing significant right sided obstruction with hydroureter and hydronephrosis as well as perinephric right side stranding. The pelvic brim obstructing calculus measures 9 X 8mm in size. The stone has h/unit readings of 900 –  1000 which suggests the possibility of a cystine, struvite or possibly calcium phosphate (hydroxyl apatite stones)

Please can you advise if there is any likelihood that this stone has been present in the kidney for a number of years and causing the pain, or if it more likely that it has recently formed, and the other stones have some how passed without detection.

Hallo Das
It is difficult to say how long this could have been there but this probably needs removal as it is already causing damage to the kidney. I suggest that you ask your GP to refer him to a nephrologist if he has not yet been referred. The underlying cause should be determined and he should be given a preventative diet or medication.
See http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/
DR Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/30

Hallo Das
DR Bets