Posted by: Heidi | 2013-01-14

kidney infection

I was diagnosed with a kidney infection on Tuesday last week, and given Ciprobay antibiotics. Whilst the severe pain in my right abdomen has lessened slightly, it is still there. Is this normal? How long will the pain last? How will I know that Ciprobay is the correct antibiotic for my infection?

Did your doctor do an urine analysis? Antibiotics should be prescribed after an urine analysis has been done, in order to identify the spesific infection. This way the correct antibiotics are prescribed. Ciprobay is a good choice and should work for the infection. Pain can be present for at least a week after the infection but consult your doctor for a re-evaluation and follow-up urine analysis.

Posted by: Heidi | 2013-01-27

Dear Dr Anrich
Thank you for your reply. My side pain continued and despite my GP suggesting that I ''perservere for a bit'' I took myself off to a urologist who suggested a CT scan. The CT scan divulged a large mass/abcess on my appendix, which was perforated.
Obviously, I had it removed straight away and am now on the road to recovery.

Reply to Heidi
Posted by: anxious | 2013-01-19

Presumably your urine sample was sent to a lab for a full analysis, i.e. *MC& S for you to get Ciprobay treatment. If this is the case, lab tests are done on the sample and if the lab cultures the sample, sensitivity tests are done to see which antibiotics are resistant/sensitive to your particular infection so that the doctor can prescribe the correct antibiotic for your particular infection. It is advisable to hand in another urine sample 3-4 days after you complete tthe Ciprobay to see if this antibiotic has eradicated the infection completely. You may require a 2nd course of treatment or be required to switch to another antibiotic if the infection has not completely cleared up. Not fully treating a lab confirmed infection can cause possible problems later on and even possible hispitalisation. Take stillpayne capsules for what should be temporary pain you are having, they work very well and you shouldn''t have a problem getting a script for it from your gp.

*MC& S = microscopy, culture &  sensitivity test

Reply to anxious