Posted by: Kinki' s Mom | 2008-12-29

Kidney failure &  cancer

My nine-year old female cross Mittal German spitz had suddenly became sick - vomiting - which the vet reckoned to be Gastritis. After 7 days on their treatment, I took her to another vet yesterday for a second opinion and after a bloodsmear he discovered renal failure in a very bad stage. He warned that the possibility of cancer is not excluded, but she' s admitted and on a drip, to see if we can pull her through. She is otherwise a very healthy dog with only eczema-problems, which is under control since we changed her diet. Please can you tell me what could have caused the kidney failure? This vet says we should put her to sleep if she doesn' t come right in three days time? Is there anything I can do to help her more?

Dear Kinki's Mom

Kidney failure can be caused by a lot of things but often the reason in unknown. Outcome generally guarded in these cases.