Question

Kidney Donation

Good day,

A close friend of my is approaching end-stage renal failure. He is 30 and I am 28. I am struggling to find information on kidney donation in the South African context and have not had luck in getting hold of the Kidney Foundation. I was wondering if you would be able to help me with the following questions, or direct me to someone who can help:

1) To what extent will I have to change my lifestyle after donation?
2) Will my existing medical aid exercise any prejudice or if I change my medical aid in future, will this be classified a pre-existing condition?
3) Akward question: I am very close to my family - is this something one should " keep"  for a family member, rather than a close friend?

I would so appreciate your guidance in this regard.

Thank you!

Hallo Anon
Try getting hold of Mrs Rossi
082 820 6244 brossi@netcare.co.za
A few pointers:
1. you must get proper counselling before you donate the kidney as it can longterm health effects and risks you have to live with
2. find out from your medical aid if they will penalize you
3. discuss with your closest family before making the decision.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/21

Hallo Anon
Try getting hold of Mrs Rossi
082 820 6244 brossi@netcare.co.za
A few pointers: