Question
Posted by: Ismat | 2012-05-21

Kidney disease?

Dear CyberDoc

My mom is 67 years, have diabetes, HPT, angina and other non-cardiovascular diseases eg stomcah ulcers&  arthritis.
She has been complaining of severe back pains for the last 4 months and pain killers are not helping.

Her doc decided to send her for a kidney test recently.
Her GFR was 68, while the urea and creatinine was in the normal range.

Is the low GFR (> 90= normal) indicative of kidney disease and does it require special treatment/monitoring?

Please advise

Thanking you

Ismat

Ismat

Your mother's low GFR can be a sign of kidney disease and I therefore, suggest that your mother consults a nephrologist for further tests.