Question

Kick Starting ones metabolism

Hi There

Is there a sure fire way to kick start ones metabolism after it has reached a grinding halt (apart from drugs). I am about 10kgs over weight and have no metabolism to talk about!!! Taking 30 minutes a day to excercise is hardly an option based on work commitments and safety issues. Are there foods or OTC type non addictive remedies to give ones metablisom a bit of a push?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Anon,
Thanks for your question, but I think that the DietDoc or CyberDoc would probably be better forums to tackle this question. However, let me put my (non-metric) one pound's worth in. As a psychiatric clinician, I have to say that I am generally very opposed to the use of any substances to accelerate metabolism, suppress appetite, etc. Only if your medical condition is exceptional, should there be reason to try and medicinally increase your metabolic rate. As an eating disorders specialist, I have always advocated eating sensibly (a balanced and moderated diet), with a sensible caloric intake that will not decelerate one's metabolic rate. What's more, moderate exercise is far more sensible than trying to exercise as much as possible, where injury or even a slow-down in metabolism will inevitably happen. I suggest your reveiw your lifestyle and see what moderate exercise you can afford to safely do. I hope that helps a little, but I do suggest you get the dietician's take on this one.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/10/05

Hello Anon,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert