Question
Posted by: Worried | 2009-11-27

KG gain

I have been exercising and eating well since February this year and have lost 22KG to date. I am 1.65 and currently weight 76. I get weighted and measured once a month. I weighted myself yesterday and I gain 800gram. Could this be muscle that I gained? My diet hasn'  t really changed so I don'  t think that I could have again weight from eating incorrectly. I have up-ed by cardio - instead of doing 2 cardio session a week I am doing 3 -4 session for the week, with one day spend on weight training - 45min arms en one day on legs exercises.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Dear Worried,

There can be many reasons why you have gained some weight. Are you weighing yourself at the same time of the day, wearing the same clothes every time you weight? Did you eat or drink anything before you weighed?

It is normal to gain a little bit of weight once you start on your exercise programme because muscles retain a bit of water.

It is also possible that when you have already lost a lot of weight and you do not have a lot more weight to lose that your body tries to compensate for the weight loss.

My advice is to see if this was only a once of thing, if you keep gaining every month it is advisable to see a dietician who can analyze your current dietary and exercise habits.

Kind Regards,
Sunita