Posted by: Cannabis and testicular cancer | 2009-02-10

I just saw an article that told me that regular cannabis smokers and/or those who took it when adolecent have a higher risk of developing testicular cancer, is this true. I have recently quit the drug and have been clean for over 2 months however I was a regular user does this mean I will develop testicular cancer. Also I know there are a lot of damaging long term and short term effects such as coordination, concentration, memory to name a few now the drug is out of my system will these side effects be with me for longer or clear themselves up in time now I am clean?

Dear Cannabis and testicular cancer
Congratulations with being "clean" for 2 months - it must have been difficult to get to this stage!
Testicular cancer is more common in young men between 20 and 30 years of age - this article is based on one study in 369 men, so it is a small sample of patients only in Seattle. This does not mean that you will get it, but you should in any case do regular testis self examination when you shower just because of your age!
I think most of the side effects of cannabis use will clear up unless you have been a heavy user for more than 10 years.