Question
Posted by: PK | 2010/12/02

Ketosis

Morning,

Is keto diet really bad for you ? Im gymming alot and have a great bodybuilder to learn from, im 26 and have been trying low carb diets and had good results,but im starting with a Keto diet for atleast a month now but there is mix reports of being in ketosis all the time, whats ur take ?

Dear PK
The reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein or keto diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. So, if it works for you and you don't use it for longer than about 2 weeks at a time, then that is fine. but please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets. You should still be getting at least 1-2 portions of carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI) at each meal to supply you with fibre and readily available energy, particularly if you are doing a lot of gym. Carbohydrates are the best fuel available for physical exercise and the fact that you are cutting out all carbs will impact negatively on your exercise performance. Keep in mind, that the cyclists in the Tour de France eat a diet that consists of up to 70% carbohydrate and they are among the leanest, fittest athletes in the world.
Take care

3
Posted by: Riek | 2010/12/07

PK Please tel me more about this dietl

Reply to Riek
Posted by: pl | 2010/12/03

thank you very much

Reply to pl

Dear PK
Take care