Posted by: AJW | 2009-09-07

Keratosis (Dr Bets Breed)

I read an earlier reply of yours (from 2004) mentioning a home remedy of mixing disprin (beta-hydroxy salicylic acid) with aqueous cream.

I have a 500ml tub of aqueuous cream and 300mg Disprin tablets:

1.) How many tablets should I crush and mix in the cream for it to work?

2.) As Keratosis pilaris is a lifelong condition, Can I use this Disprin+aqueous cream lifelong?

3.) Is the Disprin absorbed into my system?

4.) The cream mix has a bit of an unpleasant odor, can I just apply and leave it on for 10 minutes then rinse it off in the shower, instead of having it on the whole day? Especially now that it'  s summer, I sweat and its unpleasant and sticky.

Thank you Doctor.

Dear AJW
Rather ask your pharmacist to make you a mixture of 2% salicylic acid - they have a "recipe book" called Martindales that gives them the exact volumes to be mixed to get the right strength. It may smell better too!
You can use salicylic acid 2% daily lifelong
The salicylic acid will not be absorbed into the body if used in this strength
Ideally the cream should stay on, but if really unpleasant you probably can wash off after a while - may then however be not that effective
See this article: