Question
Posted by: Abi | 2011-10-27

keratoconis

Dear friends,
I have adopted, not legally yet, three of my late sister’ s children aged 17, 16 and 13. I have three children of my own aged 23, 19 and 17. My sister’ s little one, Grace, was recently diagnosed with Keratoconis and is also partially blind in the one eye. She is in the seventh grade this year and is obviously struggling with her school work. Two weeks ago we went for contact lens fitting. Both the hard and soft contact lenses didn’ t fit on her good eye. They only tested the one eye. We were informed that the only other option is to seek for specialized contact lenses made only in the US because of the severity of her case. I am also informed that it is a very expensive exercise and am aware that as a single parent and breadwinner I will not be able to afford it on my own. The children are not covered on medical aid.

Other than this being a strange phenomena for my family of seven, I am at my wits end because I don’ t know what to do or where to seek for help. At the moment I am a sponge for all information that I can get and it is quite overwhelming.
Please help.

Abi

Please refer to the following article for a detailed description about Kearatoconus, as it is very important to understand the condition and the treatment options available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoconus

Ask your doctor for a possible referral to the Tygerberg eye clinic. It is an excellent department and I truly hope that they will be able to assist with treatment of their condition.