Question
Posted by: doggie1 | 2011/02/01

Kennel Cough?

Hi, my border collie is showing symtoms of kennel cough (9 dogs at our local dog club have kennel cough as well) - slight, not major and not very often choking sounding cough, just started coughing yesterday but only twice the whole day and more this morning. I am not taking him to the vet and decided that I will start treatment with Benylin and see how he is in a week, if he gets worse, I will take him to the vet. Showing no other symtoms except not as active and sleeps alot more, my other dog is not showing any symtoms. I can get Doxydog anti-biotics (50mg or 100mg or 300mg) but how much should I give him? He is 2.5 years old, super fit dog and weighs about 20-21kg.

Please help as I would like to get rid of this ASAP! Is there any other ''over the counter'' product I can try?

Kennel cough is often a frustrating thing to experience as often the more they cough the worse it gets. Benylin can certainly be used but is is not licensed for use in animals. The disease itself is caused not only by bacteria but by a few viruses so antibiotic may not always be indicted. Unfortanately you will not be able to get antibiotic with out a script. There various Herbal/Homeopathic products (eg the ECO-range) that you can use and are readily availabe at most vets. If you are worried rahter take him to your Vet. There is also a Vaccination against Kennel cough that will reduce the spread of the disease.

4
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/03

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Kate | 2011/02/02

All 4 my dogs have had it one after the other pretty much for almost 10 days now.
I would not let them socialise with other dogs for about a week from the time the coughing stops.
Kennel cough is usually a dry cough but if a secondary infection occurs you could end up with a dog with pneumonia - in that case get to a vet asap.
The dog that got anti biotics had phlegm from day one and the others did not, she is a rescue so I think her immune system is not as strong as the others.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Doggie1 | 2011/02/01

Thaks Kate.

I just went and got Benylin, going to give 4ml (childs dose) three times a day. Also adding vitamin C 500mg 3 times a day, garlic and honey everyday to help.

It''s a dry cough, sounds like he is choking, no phlegm. How long does one usually need to keep them away from other dogs? Humidty is good for kennel cough to loosen that chest.

Reply to Doggie1
Posted by: Kate | 2011/02/01

Use a cough syrup that is for dry cough.
I used Engystol - a viral support remedy that you can get a dischem.
My one dog went to the vet and was given anti-biotics, prednisone and the cough syrup. The other dogs were given the Engystol and the cough syrup twice a day and have coped fine with their recovery, which was just a little slower than the dog on anti-biotics.
Also no excercise for at least a week whilst they are recovering.
Good luck, with the humidity and rain in Durban we have had quiet an outbreak of kennel cough.

Reply to Kate