Posted by: Stacey | 2009-03-03

Kelloggs Special K Muesli

Today I bought the Kelloggs Special K Muesli. The nutritional value per 100g is:
1061 KJ
6g Protein
69.3g Carbohydrate
1g Saturated fat
1g Monosaturated fat
1g Polyunsaturated fat
9g Fibre
68mg Sodium

Is it okay to eat a 40g portion of this product every morning? I intend eating it with fat free milk.

Is the product Low GI?

When I got home I saw that the Best Before date was 1 March 2009. Can I still eat it? I do not get to the shops a lot and can not take it back.

Dear Stacey
The Special K Muesli that you intend eating is low in fat (3g per 100g), high in dietary fibre and low in energy. A 40 g portion will only provide 406 kJ which only represents 6,5% of your daily energy intake when you are slimming. You can certainly have a reasonable portion (1 cup) of fat-free milk or yoghurt with your muesli or 1/2 cup and some extra fruit because your breakfast should at least contain about 1500 to 2100 kJ. I don't know if this Special K Muesli is low-GI, but suspect that it will be because All-Bran which also has a similar composition is low-GI. By eating it with low-fat milk or yoghurt you will in any case lower the GI of your meal. You can certainly use the product because the Best By date was only 2 days ago and such dates are listed to indicate the period up to which the product is at its very best (flavour and taste included), so if you eat it up in the next few weeks, you will be ok.