Posted by: SB | 2013-01-16

Can you tell me anything about Kefir? I hear it has complete proteins, amino acids and is good for reflux and for weight loss.

Dear SB
I am not personally acquainted with kefir which is a fermented drink made from milk and so-called 'kefir grains'. The latter are usually a mixture of lactic acid bacteria and yeasts to promote the fermentation process. The composition of kefir can vary a great deal depending on the following factors: 1) Type of milk that is used (starting with low-fat milk will reduce the kJ content of the final product); 2) Degree of fermentation that is permitted (the higher the initial sugar content and the longer the fermentation is allowed to progress, the higher the alcohol content will be). If you obtain kefir made from milk, then it will contain the same proteins which are made up of amino acids as the milk which is also one of the best sources of 'complete proteins'. I cannot comment on the use of kefir if you suffer from reflux because the product contains alcohol. I would rather recommend that you use low-fat sour milk or low-fat or fat-free yoghurt if you have reflux - same high protein, lactic acid and calcium contents, but no alcohol. The same applies to slimming - use a kefir made from low-fat or fat-free milk or just use the equivalent sour milk or yoghurt in your slimming diet.