Posted by: SATARA | 2012-11-22

Good day

I recently went on a medical diet through a program and achieved my goal. Now im being scared that I will go back to my old habits and just gain weight again.

How can i plan my daily meals in order to live a healthy and balanced lifestyle and maintain my new weight. I love my carbs but know that i cant go back there! Also, what type of inbetween snacks is necessary as i read most of your meals and snacks must consist of protein. I like to do cardio and plan on doing more weight training now.

Dear Satara
I suspect from what you say, that this 'medical diet programme' was a variation of the Atkins diet (high-protein, high-fat, low- or zero-carb diet). I am personally not in favour of such diets which are totally unbalanced and can cause negative side-effects. You are also now grappling with the typical problems that occur after you stop these Atkins-type diets: you don't have a maintenance eating plan to continue with and in time you will probably reach a point where you just cannot face protein only day in, day out. I can only suggest that you consult a registered dietitian to help you sort out and learn what you can eat after the high-protein diet. There is nothing wrong with eating carbohydrates, provided you eat low-fat, low-GI carbs and do not smother them in high-kJ fats. The dietitian will guide you on how to readjust your life. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.