Posted by: Me | 2009-01-12

Keeping healthy

Good Afternoon Doc. I was just wondering, we are planning on trying for a baby next year and I want my body to be as healthy as possible. Do you have any suggestions for a type of healthy living plan? I am a healthy eater, but I would just like to know for instance amounts of fruit, veg and milkproducts and if there are any supplements that will be good to take? Thank You.

Dear Me
A basic healthy diet should contain plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least 5-7 portions a day), lean meat, fish (3-4 times a week) and eggs (4 per week), plus 3 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day, whole, unsifted grains and cereals (3-4 servings), legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas or lentils or soya) as often as possible, and poly- or monounsaturated oils or margarine (olive oil, tub marg, etc) (3 tablespoons a day) to provide all the nutrients the body requires for good health. If you eat this type of diet you will not really need to take any vitamin or mineral supplements. Discuss the use of folic acid supplements with your gynae as in some cases it is advisable to take folic acid if there is a problem with spina bifida - however, all bread and maize meal sold in SA is already fortified with folic acid. Do NOT drink any alcohol during the period when you are trying to fall pregnant and also not during your entire pregnancy to avoid foetal alcohol syndrome.
Good luck with falling pregnant.

Posted by: Me | 2009-01-13

Thank You VERY MUCH!

Reply to Me