Posted by: Sad | 2009-10-07

Keep getting in trouble at work

Hi Doc, I dont know what do to. I keep making stupid mistakes at work and I keep getting into trouble. Now I had to do a whole bunch of changes to correct a mistake, and I made ANOTHER mistake. And as it for a group, I couldn' t just correct it- it was for over 400 people! Only 3 people noticed and I explained the mistake and they were happy with my answer. One guy emailed my boss with a query and I' m worried my boss is going to find out. I only realized this mistake a week after it was done but I was too scared to bring it up. Now I was thinking about pretending I don' t know I made the mistake, but the guy who emailed my boss is the son of one of the other people I emailed explaining the error too, so I can' t pretend that I don' t know anything. This is my first serious job, and this is our biggest group of clients. How do I go about explaining this when my boss brings it up? I' m so scared and I' m so angry at myself.

INteresting, isn't it, that if the mistake was actually significant, only 3 out of over 400 people noticed ! Doesn't that tell us something ? If the recipients weren't much bothered, it's unlikely your boss will be, either, but maybe a good tacic to pop in to see him, and mention this accidental error, and that it has been corrected and that you're surprised how few people seem to have noticed ( of course some may have noticed without commenting ). Why would you need to pretend not to have done so ( everybody makes mistakes ) or to pretend you didn;t notice the error ( which would actually be more careless than making the mistake the first time round ). If your clients aren't really bothered, why would your boss consider it a catastrophe ? Knowing you can recognize and correct a mistake is re-assuring to any sensible boss

Posted by: JR | 2009-10-08

I learned very early in my working carreer, just say, shit I made a mistake, help me correct it or supply a sullution on how to fix the problem. Hiding it never works and almost always backfires. Nothing in the working or life for that matter is unfixable. There is alwys a way.

Reply to JR