Question
Posted by: Ziyanda | 2010/12/08

Just worried

Dear Doc,during lunch time as we were leaving the table a collegue of mine had a plastic knife that slightly cut my finger by accident ,she then rushed to me and dipped her finger in her mouth then put that finger in my cut i am now worried sick.I do not understand why she did that,could I get infected with HIV thorugh her silava,please pardon my ignorance.please give urgent advise

Hallo Ziyanda
HIV in not contracted via saliva due to the antibodies and enzymes in saliva. But any cut should rather just be washed in water and covered with a plaster. There are bacteria in saliva that can cause a bacterial infection in wounds. If the finger gets very red and very sore, see your doctor for antibiotics. In the meantime you can put something like Bactroban ointment on and cover with a plaster.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/08

Hallo Ziyanda
dr Bets