Question
Posted by: Clare | 2009/11/07

Just wondering.... So many questions so few answers

I w as on depo provera for +- 5 years and in that duration I did not have my monthly menses. I stopped altogether in April 2007 and ever since then have had irregular periods. My current gynae did a progesterone test and tested my insulin (fasting) my insulin level was borderline 12 and my progesterone tests showed I did not ovulate. He started me on 500mg 1 x day glucophage and 50mg clomid on days 5 –  10. I had my day21 progesterone test on 31 October and my gynae confirmed I did ovulate. He said my progesterone level showed 120. I was advised that if I don’ t start I my cycle in 10 days I need to go to the lab for a blood test to check for pregnancy. My husbands sperm count etc was done in Jan this year and everything came back normal. What I would like to know is the following:

1. What does the progesterone level of 120 indicate? Is this a low or high reading?
2. If I ovulated first time on clomid is this a good thing and does it increase my chances of conceiving sooner?
3. Statistically speaking do I run a high risk of miscarriage?
4. Again statistically speaking what are my chances of having a successful pregnancy in these six months?
My Dr has advised that he will monitor me for 6 months, i.e. check if I continue to ovulate on clomid and if after that time I have still not fallen pregnant he will investigate further. My Dr also checked for pcos i.e. did an internal ultrasound, internal check, I have no excessive facial hair, no acne, nor excessive fat in the relevant areas. He told me to count out pcos. I am 26 years in age and my husband Is 27. Neither drink or smoke however we are both in stressful jobs.
Thanking you in advance for your time. Kind Regards Clare (Hopeful mommy)

Dear Clare

A progesterone level of a 120 indicates that ovulation has taken place, this is a reasonably high level and this is often seen when multiple follicles are developing and this usually occurs with the use of Clomid. If you have ovulated first time on clomid this usually indicates that you are responding well to it and that in your particular case would increase your chances of conceiving, as you are not ovulating naturally too well. Patients with a problem of insulin resistance and polycystic ovarian syndrome do have a higher chance of miscarriage but this is not exceptionally high. Your chances of falling pregnant providing your fallopian tubes are patent and there are no other problems such as endometriosis then your chances of falling pregnant within 6 months is in excess of 50%. If your doctor has ruled out the condition of polycystic ovarian syndrome then in your particular case you do not run a higher than normal risk of miscarriage. I think your doctor is taking a very wise and prudent approach as he is first trying to correct the problem of ovulation and giving you a chance to see if you can conceive naturally with Clomid, and at a later stage if nothing happens then further investigations would be required.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Ilana Schwartz | 2010/01/07

I have been diagnosed with PCOS a few years back. I am not overweight, do not have high insulin levels (in fact it is a bit low) and have very few of the other symptoms. My question is I read everywhere of people struggling to get pregnant who has PCOS, but nowhere can I find information on whether or not you can still fall pregnant naturally without taking medication whilst diagnosed with PCOS. I would like to know, because when I decide to fall pregnant I would like to try without medication first. Am I wasting my time trying naturally?

Reply to Ilana Schwartz
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2009/11/18

Dear Clare

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert