Posted by: Sam | 2009-02-03

Just wondering

about a month ago I asked a question about building muscle and
just gennerrally bulking up, you gave me some good advice however you said that im only 16 and at 16 I should not be worrying about building muscle, why is this and when is a good age to start?

HI Sam

I think the main reason is that at a young age, you're not quite fully developed (muscle, skeleton, tendons etc.) and so a pre-occupation with building muscle can cause problems, because you will tend to push beyond what the developing body is capable of, and that leads to injury and overuse problems.

That's not to say that a 16 year old can't build muscle. They can, but the focus should be on technique and on gaining strength, not muscle power or size, and rather wait until later when you're a little stronger and more fully developed. That usually happens at around 18, but even then, you don't want to be going 100%. I'd say from that point onwards, you start increasing it but look to peak in the early 20's.