Posted by: lady pta | 2008-10-29

just wondering

hello dr I am a 49 yar old lady. I wanted to take something of a shelf when i realise my hand dont know what to do it shaked and would not move the way my brain did it was only for a vew seconds though. is there something i should know or see

Hallo Lady Pta
You need to see your GP - you probably need referral to a neurologist. This could have been a TIA ( transient ischemic attack) or temporary stroke. In itself it isn't harmful, as you won't have any permanent side effects, but it is often a warning that you are at high risk of getting "real" stroke within the next year or two. You need to be examined to see if you have any possible risk causes ( could be irregular heart rythm, or cholesterol plaques in the neck arteries, blood being too thick) so that they can start treatment and prevent a stroke before it happens. They normally do blood tests for coagulation factors, a full blood count, a heart sonar, sonar of the arteries in the neck, cholesterol tests.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 | 2009-04-30

my brother has a problem with his blood being thick, this was found out after doctors removed a clot from his leg, he takes 2 injections a day plus weekly check ups but blood is not weakening,he is very worried

Reply to Anonymous 2