Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2008/09/12

Just want to know

Hi, I have PCOS ever since I' ve got my period is lasts 6 days and get very heavy bleeding. For the past few months I didn' t get my period because I was not ovulating. Now I" m on clomid and I' ve been ovulating for the past few months now. My period seems so different it' s much less than it use to be and only lasts 2 - 3days. But my cycle is still the same 31days.Has something changed or what could be causing the change or it my situation bettering. Can some one give me an explanation.

Dear Mandy

The problem with PCOS is that the menstrual bleeds are not always true menstrual bleeds but instead breakthrough bleeds due to excess build up of the endometrium (lining of the womb). This follows directly on ovulatory dysfunction and even though Clomid has been used this does not always guarantee ovulation taking place. Although your cycle remains 31 days this may not also be a true menstrual cycle but may be due to the abnormal changes in the lining of womb due to the imbalance in the hormonal system, in particular high-unopposed estrogen levels. My recommendation is that you begin careful ovulation monitoring by means of ultrasound scanning through a fertility specialist or a skilled managing PCOS.

Answered by: Dr.M.I.Cassim