Posted by: Bb | 2009-03-05

Just wanna be alone

At the start of last year I got a job. The job was in another town and I had to travel quite a distance to get there. It meant that I had to get up really early and I would come home late at night. I always felt so tired.

During weekends I would not want to do anything except watch dvd' s at home, read and sleep. I started making excuses when someone asked me to go out, or do something with them. At first I thought that it was simply because I am physically tired and that my body needs to adjust to my new routine.

I then met this one friend who is very sociable. He always has people over, and always has this big Sunday lunches for his friends. At first it was nice doing these lunches, but after while while I was there I somehow felt like my time was being stolen. I felt that I would rather be at home alone, than waste my time socialising. I the started to distance myself, not going out with my friends anymore. Just staying at home weekend after weekend, making up excuse after excuse about why I don' t want to go with them. And I used to be the party animal!

This year I moved. It now takes me 10 minutes to walk to work. I thought that now that I don' t to travel far to work anymore that I would do more things, go out more. But it' s still the same. It' s almost as if I am overprotective about my time and space. That I don' t need any interference. That I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

And I' ve also noticed that I do the same thing every weekend, since last year, and at almost the same time. It' s almost as if my days are planned out.

Is there something wrong with me  is it because I am getting older(turning 28 this year)  should I get help?

You formed a habit o enjoying your own company and being on your own and n ot socializing. Habits take efort to change, if one wants to and if it would be useful to change. If you are happy this way, there is no compelling reason to change. And as for growing older, most people, fortunately, outgrow the Party Animal phase. Its no great loss