Question
Posted by: Liza | 2012-06-03

Just venting (Long)

I''ve been manic for the past couple of weeks. Went to work last Monday and didn''t get a single piece of work done. Stared at the same computer program for the whole day. I can read and understand the seperate lines of program code, but whenever I try to visualize it into the context of the program, the context just escapes me. I can''t concentrate hard enough and when I try, my vision starts going. Like the aura of a migraine, except no feeling of pain and pressure. I had to take the rest of the week off and tell my boss I was having an episode (not good since it''s raise time next month and I just know they''re going to knock me for this)

Then last weekend, I had terrible toothache. By Wednesday the toothache was unbearable and no painkillers wanted to work, so I finally made an appointment at the dentist. Now I''m scared silly of dentists. As a kid my mom made me go to the state dental facilities where the students practised on the patients. It''s not for the faint-hearted. So Wednesday afternoon I rock up at the dentist office and tell the receptionist that I called that morning and made an appointment. So she smiles at me and tells me that they don''t make appointments for extractions. (btw, I didn''t ask for an extraction. I just said I had toothache when I made the appointment) So she tells me that unless I let the tooth be extracted, I''m going to have to make another appointment for another day. By then I''d been in pain for 4 days and just couldn''t take it anymore, so I said fine - do the extraction. After waiting 90 minutes I''m finally in the chair.

The dentist proceeds to give me injection after injection (7 in total) because it''s a waste of time to wait 5 freaking minutes for the injection to work. I KNOW that it takes a little longer than usual to work on me, but does the dentist care? Oh no... Finally she gets the tooth out and proudly shows me my tooth - which obviously only needed a filling... So I go home and finally after 5 hours I get feeling back again. Only to find out she ripped half my gums out with the tooth. It took 2 days to stop bleeding and then became a bad infection - even though I was rinsing my mouth with salt water 3 times a day. By yesterday it was so swollen and sore - I went to the doctor and got an antibiotic to clear up the infection.

I''m so angry I could breathe fire. Except when I get as angry as I am now, the waterworks turn on and I can''t stop crying and just want to scream. I''m drinking so many pills it''s like I''m single-handedly keeping a pharmacy in business. The possibility of drug interactions grows with each addition and it scares me. For bipolar I take 40mg Citalopram, 150mg Lamotrigine, 600mg Quetiapine and Ativan as needed. For my high cholesterol, I''m taking 20mg of Simvastatin. Add the 600mg of Clindahexal (150mg * 4 times daily) and Myprodol for the infection in my mouth and it feels like I have to drink a pill every time I turn around. With all this stress I think my prior mania has turned into depression. I''ll make an emergency appointment with my shrink tomorrow. Everything is just becoming too much.

Liza

Sounds like a good account of mania / hypomania ; one gets increasingly active and decreasingly productive.
What you describe at the dentist's, though, sounds thoroughly unprofessional and worthy of reporting to the Health Professions Council. Too often, taking advantage of the fact that people are in pain and scared of dentists, they push one to whatever treatment is most convenient and profitable to them, rather than what may be in your own best interests. But of course you need to wait until you are otherwise well before taking any such action.
Whether the mania has switched to depression, or merely more appropriate sadness and frustration, may not be entirely clear.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2012-06-03

Oh Liza... (((HUGS)))

You must really find a different dentist. My daughter had to have an abscessed tooth out last week, and the experience was so much better than you describe. The dentist also prescribed antibiotics for her.

As for the rest, I share your concerns about meds interactions and swallowing hands full of pills. But that concern is vastly amplified when the pills don''t do their job properly. The antibiotics might also have interfered with the absorption of some of the meds. Hang in there, you''ve beaten this before and you can do so again.

Staring at lines of code and not being able to figure out the bigger picture is pretty much what every day at work is like for me.

Reply to Maria