Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2011/01/24

Just Started Yoga

I have just started doing Yoga for beginners. I must say I am 43. Is there an actual time limit as to how long I do the Yoga for beginners. My second question is, And this might be a stupid question. When I started yoga I was doing it mid morning, or late afternoon. This morning I got up a little earlier to do a session of yoga and started feeling nasueas. Is it because I did it on an empty tummy or am I just not used to a work out first thing in the morning?

Expert ImageYoga

There is no time limit to how long one does 'beginners' yoga- your yogic practice will take on a natural progression whereby you will feel when is right to go deeper into your practice and will then naturally move from beginner to more advanced. Even though we tend to call classes 'beginner' or 'intermediate' or 'advanced'- we also need to remember that your yoga practice is not about moving up through a system but about being very present to the experience of your practice as it is now. In this way- your beginner sequence can be very advanced because of the quality of your awareness.
Even though it is recommended that yoga practice take place first thing in the morning- it is also a fact that our bodies are the stiffest at that time. Perhaps your experience of nausea was due to your expecting your body to move and respond to your yoga practice in the way it did when you practiced mid morning or late afternoon. Mornings are definitely an ideal time to practice- it is quiet and your mind is generally more peaceful, but you need to take it a bit more slowly (especially in the beginning stages of your sequence). Try and take a moment to become aware of how your body feels just before you start, that way you can be clear on any areas of tighness or pain and can work more consciously around them. Some warm-up practices for any sensitive parts of the body are recommended before you start on your usual sequence.
Your feeling of nausea is also quite common in beginners - as the body is getting used to a new experience and takes time to adjust.The general (and most sensible) rule - is to move slowly and gently- this way you will quickly recognise anything that causes discomfort and will be able to make your own adjustments and decisions based on a well informed connection with yourself!

1
Posted by: yoga | 2011/01/31

Reply to yoga