Question
Posted by: Edie | 2012-04-18

Just relax

Dear CS

I have never been a chilled out person and is quite highly strung. But over the years I at least became a bit more relaxed and knew how to have a good time. Unfortunately since I’ ve had, especially my second baby (1 yr), I feel way too stressed out. Initially I thought it was just due to the sleeplessness (I need loads, and have not slept through the night in the past 3 and half years) and also the responsibility and just the effort. I have also been feeling restless and nervous when we are in social situations. Forever busy with the two. Now, I though it was going better (still not sleeping, but adjusting), but I just saw some photos from a kiddies party over the weekend and I look like a wild animal! Nose flared, eyes wild, mouth taut. I though I was having a good time and I look like a freak! And I’ m thinking, if I look like this all the time, how awful for everyone around me, especially the kids. I’ m thinking maybe I should take something to relax. I sometimes drink rescue drops, but I’ m thinking something a bit more hardcore. Obviously I don’ t want to be doped out that I can’ t actually function at work, home, wherever. But maybe my body is caught up in this stress cycle and just need a push in the right direction? I don’ t know. What would be a good option?

As you recognize, we all difer as to our basic personality style, and some of us are more highly strung than others. Having a baby, with many added stressors including sleeplessness, may exaggerate traits previously apparent.
For increased levels of stress and anxiety, I prefer to suggest if one needs more help, seeing a psychologist for CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) so as to identify triggers for anxiety, and to improve ones skills at dealing with those and any anxiety that may result, is best. And good at re-starting your previously effective coping skills.
Medication from a psychiatrist can help, but also has some problems potentially, and would be the next step to consider only if CBT wasn't helping enough

1