Posted by: Twiggy | 2008-11-03

Just like to know

My husband had a vasectomy 6 years ago. Now we have decided to start a family. What would be the best way for us to go ahead? I have read about IVF and do not know what the success rate is? If someone has gone through something similar like me, can you please advise!

Dear Twiggy

A simple surgical procedure involving aspiration or a minor biopsy would be initially required to obtain a sample of sperm, which is then frozen. The testicular procedure can be done as an outpatient if so desired. Thereafter the process involves ovulation induction on the on the part of the spouse with the aim of obtaining several mature eggs which are the fertilized in the laboratory by means of a microinjection procedure (sperm injected directly into the egg). The embryos that are obtained are then transferred within subsequent 5 days back into the uterus transvaginally. The success of the procedure in good hands and depending on other factor should be in the region of 40% and this surpasses the likelihood of pregnancy after vasectomy reversal. Furthermore on a cost benefit ratio the technique may be equivalent or even better in the long run.

Answered by: Dr. M. I. Cassim