Question
Posted by: Rancia | 2010-05-28

Just keep on gaining weight

I have a problem sinced a gave birth two my second child in 2008 not able to loose the after baby weight and i just keep on gaining more and more weight, i lat time i spoke to you, you recomend i short take a pill that will eliminate the fat (just forgot the name) but i did not help. I have tried on several occassions to just do a Balanced diet, but also with no success and i went from overweight to obese.
Can it be the birth control pills causing the weight gain or has these diet pills totally slowed down my metabolism.
Please help me i am very depressed about this situation. I also experience severe bloatedness after having a meal and become extremely uncomfortable.

Dear Rancia
If Xenical (the medication that prevents fat absorption from food) did not help you lose weight then I would recommend that you consult an Endocrinologist (a specialist in hormonal imbalances- ask your gp to refer you to such a specialist) who will test your various hormone levels (thyroid, insulin and female hormones) to determine if such an imbalance is causing your progressive weight gain. Both female hormone pills and depression can cause weight gain - discuss these factors with the Endocrinologist. If you do suffer from insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome or polycystic ovary disease (PCOS), then it is essential to also consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, bloating and other conditions such as overweight, and metabolic syndrome or PCOS, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-05-29

Dear Rancia