Question
Posted by: CCC | 2010-03-05

Just in the Afternoons

Hi Doc,
I have always suffered from ulcers and IBS and there are certain foods that irritate my stomach. I have cut out these foods as much as possible. When my stomach comes into contact with these foods or if i experience the slightest stressful situation, I bloat very badly, so much so that some of my clothes dont fit, and it becomes very painful and embarrassing. I am trying my best to manage stress better and cut out certain foods but something i have noticed is that in the afternoons, from about 12:30 onwards, the symptoms start anyway. I have no idea why this is happening and I am becoming fed up with it now. Please could you provide me with some ideas and suggestions about how i can have a normal stomach again or just close to normal.

Dear CCC
It is a well known fact that the symptoms of IBS build up over the course of the day as you eat more food and as stress builds up. Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-05

Dear CCC