Question
Posted by: Katie | 2011/05/19

Just down

Hello. Im feeling pretty low. I have no real need to, but I do.

Ive been reading the newspapers and all the awful articles, the degenerate youth, cheaters, liars, corrupt politicians, the love child fathered by Arnold Schwarzenegger and the general state of the world.

Maybe I have too much free time on my hands, and I should just stop reading these papers and articles.

I feel paranoid and sad and despairing.

Please, if you have any suggestions on how I can cheer myself up (other than the obvious, stop reading) then please could you reply?

Sometimes there are really obvious reasons for why one feels low ; sometimes here is no apparent reason, because our internal mood chemistry can go awry, temporarily or more long-term, without needing a reason we can notice. One can make oneself sensibly less vulnerable by limiting the number of world events we will allow to have an emotional impact on us. Personally, for instance, I have never allowed anything Mr Schqarzenegger did, good or bad, to influence by mood one jot. I expect such things from such people, and am rarely disappointed.
Stop reading THOSE SORTS OF news items - there is plenty of more cheering and uplifting stuff to read. And why not get involved in charity work, where what you do can make a real difference to the plight of individuals, even if you can't change the whole world ?

6
Posted by: Nikky | 2011/05/20

Hi Katie,

I also feel down today. Arnie was my hero and just look at what he did... I will have to find another hero! We have just learned that someone who owes us R50 000 has done a duck. In these hard times we cannot afford to lose anymore money, we have written off so much already. People are furious with us as we owe them money, my son is on chronic muti and we cannot afford it anymore. It feels like the end of the road for us. I agree with you that the world has lost its morals and values. Perhaps we should stop reading the newspapers, etc as we will get down. I sometimes wonder why I bought two kids into this cruel world.

Eat some chocolate, that normally cheers me up! Have a lekker weekend.

Reply to Nikky
Posted by: Katie | 2011/05/19

Yes, I think I will stop reading the horrible stories and try and focus on the more positive things. I will especially stop reading the comments on the articles!

I worry that all values and morals have disappeared from the world and anyone now who displays morals or ''old fashioned'' desires are mocked and scorned.

Liza, I am still enjoying the things that must be pleasurable, but often, I find my despair seeping in and need to be shaken.

Reply to Katie
Posted by: Romany | 2011/05/19

Let''s face it, if the newspapers despress you..... what else can you do but to stop reading them?
This is a very weierd request indeed......
Remove the cause and the symptoms will go away.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Liza | 2011/05/19

Are you still enjoying things that should be pleasurable? If you aren''t, you might have depression and should see a psychologist for a full assessment. Besides medication, CBT-style counseling is an enormous help with depression (even if you don''t use anti-depressants). Sometimes being sad/paranoid/dispairing becomes a bad habit and CBT helps to break bad habits like continuous negative thoughts. It helps you to constructively change your thoughts into more positive patterns.

Do you exercise regularly? Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel happier too. This helps doesn''t matter whether you''re suffering from clinical depression or just sadness.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Truth | 2011/05/19

I see you reject the obvious advice as to just stop reading newspapers!
Isnt this a bit like saying when u eat eggs you feel nauseaus but refuse to omit them from your diet?

Reply to Truth