Question
Posted by: TV junkie | 2010/07/29

just curious

In American TV shows, when they talk about pills like Vicodin, Percoset and Oxycontin, I assume they are addictive painkillers, but I''m curious what their South African equivalent would be? Something that we get over the counter with codein in it like Syndol, or really heavy duty morphine-type stuff?

Also, why on earth would ''Nurse Jackie'' snort the granules inside the capsule, surely that must hurt and won''t be absorbed as well in the nose/lungs as in the stomach?

(I''m really not a junkie, I just like knowing the facts about a variety of things)

Expert ImagePharmacist

HI TVJ!

All these meds contains either Oxycodone or Hydrocodone, which are opioid analgesics not available in SA.

I'd say strength-wise these are someway in-between codeine and morphine, but leaning towards the morphine side.

Regarding snorting - Absorption thru mucous mebranes or inside the lungs are actually very good. Just think of inhalers for asthma, and research are done on delivering other type of medicines in the same way.

Jackie's nose may burn a bit though....

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/07/30

HI TVJ!

Jackie's nose may burn a bit though....

Reply to pharmacist