Question
Posted by: just asking | 2010/01/22

Just asking

need to find out, how is biopolar diagnosed - my Bf suffers from terrible mood swings, he will just leave the house in a good mood go out for 5mins then come back in a terrible mood - pick firghts about everything, he would just say and do stupid things then he would start accousing me of making him angry saying its all my fault that he is so angry, when I ask what did I do he would just say " are you telling me you dont know what you did, huh, you know exactly what you did to make me so angry"  I think that is cause he doesnt remember why he picked the fight, I sometimes try to stay cool and listen to him and try to explain but the more I try he will start saying some really hurtful things to me and when I get upset he will just keep quite and not speak to me until I speak to him, even if I ask him to apologize for hurting me he will just say " okay sorry then, but I did this cause you did that"  he is in a good mood only once a week and that also doesnt last very long.
I have been dating him for 3 years now and his sisters say he has always had mood swings, since he was a baby but they just ignore it and I should do the same - I am thinking of breaking up but I love him too much, if there is pills that can help him stabilize his mood I would like to try them first if he doest change then I will give up.
Everyone knows my BF as this sweet loving man who wouldnt even raise his voice but as soon as we close the doors he starts screaming and shouting and accusing me of hurting him etc or maybe Im the one that needs help, I dont know myself anymore eeverytime he gets like that I just cry and hope he will stop and comfort me but he never does, I find my self crying 4-5times a week, maybe I am the one with a problem?
Do we need to go to a normal GP who will refer us to a psycologist, I really need to fix this.

Sorry for the long post but my question is could my BF have biopolar disorder or depression or is he just too self loving? Or could I have the same things I think BF has?

With ANY psychiatric conditon, ansd indeed medical conditions, there are internationally agreed criteria which a properly trained shrink can use in assessing someone and making a proper diagnosis. The point of such criteria is that we make diagnoses in a generally reliable way, which will correlate well with the available treatments and their effects.
No all mood swings are Bipolar. What you seem to be describing isn't really mood swings so much as irritability and poor anger control, possibly based in a personality disorder.
The only way to be sure what's wrong and what the diagnosis is, is for him to see a shrink for a proper assessment, and then a discussion of treatment options. And it would be impossible for him to be helped unless he himself was sure he does have a problem and that it does need treatment, and unless he sincerely cooperated in treatment

2
Posted by: qwerty | 2010/01/22

I can' t give you any advice on what kind of disorder your boyfriend might have, but I can tell you this: If he' s not interested in getting help and / or getting better, GET OUT!!
Seriously. This is an extremely alarming behaviour pattern that could easily spiral into a dangerous domestic abuse situation.

You are already being verbally abused, and the fact that you' re starting to wonder whether you actually are " bad"  and " deserve"  his treatment of you, raises some very big red flags. Today, it' s screaming and shouting. Tomorrow you' re in hospital with broken ribs!

Reply to qwerty