Question
Posted by: Tori | 2008/08/27

just asking

Hi there CS,
I recently started a new job, it is very challenging as I have a qualification in something totally different, some days I just feel that if I were dead I wouldn' t have to wake up with this looming day ahead. I dream about the day ahead, and think everything through over and over when I sleep. I think I have developed an ulcer in my stomach. I rarely eat in the day cause im so freaking busy, do you think I should go to a gp and ask her for meds?

I'm sure the company had the good sense to recognize your basic skills and personal qualities in selecting you for the job. But they have a moral and legal obligation to provide whatever extra training and support you need to rap;idly get up to speed in the new job, and to help you to learn whatever extra skills it may need. Try discussing this with the HR person or department. Work on that approach. Also, you may not have an ulcer, but indigestion caused by stress and lack of food in a stomach which spends too long being empty. Make sure you take the time for soothing snacks mid morning and pm, and for lunch. View this as medicine, not as a luxury. And try to compartmentalize work and life --- recognize that its valuable and will improve the quality of your work the next day if you can set it aside when you get home and focus on relaxing and recuperating