Question
Posted by: Que | 2008/07/30

Just a quick q

Hi CS

I know that this might not be the correct forum to post my question but seeing that you are a published writer, I wondered if you can help.

I would like to write a book / screenplay. I do not have any experience and would like to find out if there are courses I should attend? Do you know of institutions I can contact?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Q

I don't know of institutions of couses, as that isn't how I began, but I'm sure most higher education ionstitutions should offer courses in creative writing, and there are many rather good self-help books. Also, as regards books, pay attention to what you read --- if it seems a really good book --- why ? What did the author do right ? How does it work ? Similarly if you're interested in screenplays --- watch a film --- WHY was it bad, or good --- what worked, what didnt ? If you were doing the screenplay, how would you have done it differently ?
And write. Don't expect everything you write to get published, especially at first ( though in these days of Blogs its easy to publish yourself online, even if nobody reads it ! ) --- but write something, every day, to get more pracised at putting ideas into words, and organizing your words so they are readable and enjoyable