Question
Posted by: trish | 2011/04/04

Just a general question

Sorry , theres no where else i can post this question, im hoping readers can help with this one.

Is there any way to trace a call from a private or unknown number made to your cell phone ?

The service providers call centre''s are not very helpfull.

They're not supposed to be very helpful. Without a court order, they might be interfering in someone's privacy or other concerns. I agree it is a weakness in the current system that it may prevent YOU from winding out who called YOU from a secret number. I don't think anyone should be considered to have the right to make what could be prank or nuisance or even harrassing or threaening calls to anyone else and to remain anonymous - your right to anonymity should end when my phone rings !
But in a serious case of harassment or threats, it would potentially be a criminal matter, and the police could obtain a court order to get the information, is needed.

11
Posted by: Me too | 2011/04/05

I used to put it next to a TV and continue with what I''m doing until they finish talking. The only difference with me is that I knew who it was (hubby''s ex), as her number was not hidden, so I managed to put a stop to it, via court.

I now have a man stalker who kept sending me ''please call'' messages. I only respond to those when it''s family, so I kept ignoring him until he called, asking to speak to Emily. I told him it''s a wrong number as I''m not Emily, but he continues to bug me. Even my husband called him back at some stage, confronting him, to which he apologised and promised to stop, but I''m still getting those missed calls and messages. I just ignore him now. His number is also displayed. I guess his Emily gave him a wrong number so he doesn''t believe me when I tell him it''s no me.

Reply to Me too
Posted by: Maria | 2011/04/04

I love Liza''s suggestions. You can also buy a loud, shrill whistle and blow it in his ear every time he calls.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Hestia | 2011/04/04

I work for a fixed line company. It works as follows. You can go to the police and open a case. Once the case is opened the police will deliver a court order to the company. Once this is received the company will connect a device in the exchange to trace the call. When you receive the call you make a note of the date and time of this call. You will then contact the company with this detail. They will then use the device that is connected to see the details of the person that called you. This information will be handed over the the Police officer that is investigating the problem. The company will NEVER give the details to you. Once the police have the details they can then let the law take it cource. It is unlawfull to trace calls without a court order. Doing so will interfere with the other parties right to privacy. I am not sure what the exact procedure is for cell companies however it should be more or less the same.

Reply to Hestia

I really like Liza''s approach to this and I was actually laughing my lungs out. Suggestion that if it'' s a female, call her ''Flabbyboobs''. That should shut her up.

Posted by: Romany | 2011/04/04

A private detective will find this out for you without problem.
If you are harassed (as you are), you can make a case at the SAP and the cellphone company will then assist. This is however the LONG way.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Liza | 2011/04/04

Something you could do to stop the harassment is to answer the call and when you hear it''s this idiot, DON''T hang up. Rather take the phone away from your ear and put it down without hanging up. Your obvious frustrated/disgusted reaction is exactly what he''s looking for. Rather just say " uhuh"  and then let him continue with his idiocy without listening. The purpose is to make sure he spends as much money on each call as possible and to not give him the reaction he wants. If this doesn''t work, you could try and ridicule him. Tell him that obviously his tool is so small that he can''t have a normal relationship with a woman and that is why he has to resort to harassment. Laugh at him - it could be a surefire way of getting him to leave you alone. Once you''ve told him his tool is tiny and he tries to call you again - give him a nickname. Something like Tinytool. What guy will continue to call you when he gets called Tinytool with laughter every time he tries?

Just a thought.
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: PI | 2011/04/04

I believe a private detective can find out very quickly - just do not ask how!

Reply to PI
Posted by: trish | 2011/04/04

Yes excitement. its actually very vulgar and explicit calls and no matter how many times i hang up , the caller just calls again and again. i cannot afford to switch my cell phone off because of work and for the same reason cannot ignore private calls all the time.
So its getting really frustrating!

Reply to trish
Posted by: excitement | 2011/04/04

Trish, are you being stalked or harrassed?

Reply to excitement
Posted by: Liza | 2011/04/04

Easy answer - not without a court order...

Reply to Liza