Question
Posted by: Heather | 2010-03-05

Jungle Oats

Good Day, I was wondering if you would be able to assist, my husband is a diabetic and we (I have joined him in the eating plan) have been eating Jungle Oats every morning and since we have been doing that we have both put on quite a bit of weight. In the last 2 months I have gained 7kgs and my husband has also gained about that amount.

Mornings: Jungle Oats
Lunch: Left overs from low GI dinner
Dinner: Low GI Foods (cooked out of the Eating for Sustained Energy books)

We are just concerned as it''s a large amount of weight to pick up in a short time.

Please could you advise we are now desperate.

Dear Heather
I must say that I am puzzled why you and your hubby have gained about 7 kg in 2 months from eating cooked oats for breakfast. I think that you may either be eating too large a portion (1/2 cup of cooked oats is regarded as standard), or that your total energy intake per day is too high. Because your hubby is diabetic it is essential that he should have an individual diet prescription worked out for him by a clinical dietitian. I would recommend that both of you consult a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she can determine how much you two are eating. The booklet Eating for Sustained Energy is an excellent guide, BUT you need to control your portion sizes and fat intake even if you are eating low-GI foods. Please see the dietitian so that she can guide both of you on how to use a low-fat, low-GI diet because you can't continue to gain 3,5 kg per month!

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-05

Dear Heather