Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2011/02/03

Jumping fence

Our dog (9 months) gets walked everyday sometimes it is just a short walk but its every day, but she always jumps the fence when we try to go out to the shops. When we try calling her she plainly ignores us and has even once bitten my husband.
I get really frustrated with her especially if she does not want to listen.

What could be the cause of this? I''m scared that she might one day turn around and bite my toddler.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Jenna, you really do need to attend to this behaviour as soon as possible and you need professional help - an answer here is just not going to suffice. Aggression of any type should not be allowed and it will become a 'learned' behaviour and can easily escalate. As you have a young child it is especially important to address this as soon as possible. Your dog is still young so it will be much easier for a behaviourist to show you how to turn the behaviour around. They would also help you with the ingoring behaviour your dog is currently exhibiting, and jumping over the fence. I would suggest you contact either your vet who can recommend somebody or else the Animal Behaviour Consultants of SA and look for a professional close to where you live. Incidentally, congratulations! It is so nice to find caring owners who ensure that their dogs get out for much need mental and physical stimulation by way of a walk. Thanks Scotty

4
Posted by: Scotty | 2011/02/14

Hi Jenna, so glad your doing something about thi, congrats! I really do think you need more on the behaviour side rather than obedience school. If you cant find somebody, please contact me via my website and i will look for somebody in your area. The details are on the CV on Health 24 under Dog Behaviour Expert. Take care, Scotty

Reply to Scotty
Posted by: Jenna | 2011/02/07

Hey Scotty

Thank you so much for your swift reply much much appreciated.

I have an appointment this weekend with the VET as she needs to go for a check up as well so then i can catch 2 flies in 1 go.

Will let you know what is happening. O ja wanted to know if puppy school will help as well?

Have a great day!
=D

Reply to Jenna
Posted by: Scotty | 2011/02/04

Hi Jenna, did you manage to find somebody to help you? Thanks Scotty

Reply to Scotty
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/02/03

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert