Question
Posted by: Karen | 2011-08-19

Jumping

PLEASE CAN YOU SUGGEST A SOLUTION TO THE FOLLOWING - WE HAVE TWO ALSATION DOGS BOTH MALES- THE OLDER DOG HAS TAUGHT THE PUPPY TO URINATED ON OUR CARS WHEN WE ARRIVE HOME EVERY DAY..... IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING AS BOTH OF THEM DO IT WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP IT.

ALSO THE PUPPY WHO IS 11 MONTHS OLD KEEPS JUMPING ON ME WHEN EVER HE SEES ME. THE ONLY TIME HE DOESN''T IS WHEN I SHOUT AT HIM AND I REALLY DON''T WANT TO SHOUT AT HIM ALL THE TIME. HE JUST DOESN''T WANT TO STOP...

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Karen, with your first question, it is such a natural thing for dogs to do - they are checking where you have been, if somebody else urinated on the wheel etc, just putting their mark back on. The best way to approach this is one, by management - spray some pure Citronella oil on the wheels and this (may) stop the dogs, or park your car where they do not have access to it. You can even block off the tyres by putting boxes etc in front of them. I would also start toilet training again givening them a location to do their business in - but this does not guarantee it wont happen again.

Where your pup is concerned, this has just become a habit. Use the dogs daily food allowance and instead of feeding in a bowl use it to call the dog, ask for a 'sit' and give one piece of kibble. Do this over and over and when at home use the daily allowance throughout the day doing the same exercise. The pup will quickly realize that he gets attention only when sitting in front of you. When the pup is doing this every single time, then start to fade the reward by only giveing treat every second sit and staggering it like this.

If the dog does jump on you initially when you come home - totally ignore the dog and dont even look at him. When he has given up (he will), call him back about 30 seconds later, ask for a sit, greet quietly while feet on the floor and then have your normal interaction.

Remember that every time a dog is allowed to jump up the behaviour is reinforced - so - simply ignore and practise the exercise. Good luck, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-08-22

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert