Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2010/03/01

Juice for 3yr old

Dear Doctor,

I would like to know which is the healthiest juice on the market for a 3yr old? My daughter will only drink sparkling flavoured waters and diluted fizzy drinks.
I have seen some juices are high in sugar, others high in sodium. How do i decide which is the healthiest?

Dear Mommy
The best drinks for 3-year-olds are clean water (tap water that is boiled and cooled), freshly squeezed fruit juice in small quantities, rooibos tea and low-fat milk or yoghurt drinks. Commercial fruit juices do contain high levels of fructose which may contribute to weight gain, as do fizzy sweetened cold drinks. So rather wean her of the diluted fizzy drinks and get her used to drinking healthy beverages that are not harmful to her health, weight or teeth.

2
Posted by: TP | 2010/03/05

I don''t know what the dietdoc would think, but i can''t see the harm in the following. I know i like it! I pretty much only drink pure diluted fruit juice (like liquifruit). When i can i like to dilute it with soda water.. then you get the sweetness of the fruit juice plus its fizzy, which may appeal to you 3 yr old.. provided the soda water doesn''t have other rubbish in it i can''t see it being unhealthy!

Reply to TP

Dear Mommy