Question
Posted by: smiley | 2008/09/19

juat want to know

I didn' t have my periods for 13 months, then when I had them they lasted a whole month and the flow was heavy. This year I haven' t had them since May. Will I be able to have children, I would also like to know what might be the problem.

Dear Smiley

The most likely reason for not seeing your periods for long periods of time in a young woman would usually indicate anovulation that means you are not producing eggs and therefore not ovulating. This would certainly be a problem, if you are trying to fall pregnant. The causes for amenorrhea and/or anovulation are numerous and I suggest you seek medical assistance from your gynaecologist or your fertility specialist so that he can find out as to the cause and subsequent treatment.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo