Question
Posted by: Sanet | 2011/06/11

JRT Traumatised

Hi, last Friday we were sitting in the lounge and it starting sounding like fire crackers going off! All the tiles in the lounge cracked and lifted up. My 2 JR''s fled to the bedroom, but were shaking terribly when I got to them. I cannot really enter the loung at the moment, as the tiles are loose etc. But the dogs seem to have a memory. They refuse to step into the lounge. They run quickly past the lounge to the garage, but underneath the kitchen table where the tiles are still stable. The will not even walk where I removed some of the cracked tiles. We have been spending the week in the bedroom. It seems as if they are starting to forget slowly as I caught them stepping on the cement in the lounge when they were excited. But they still refuse to sit in front of the television. I want to give up and use the place, to hell with it if more tiles crack. But the one dog just sits and cries in the passage when I sit in the lounge. I cannot even coaxe them with food! And that is very unusual. And the area she has to walk over does not have any tiles at the moment. Will they get over it? And what can I do to help them. It does not look like the owner is planning to fix the problem soon. Do they have a sixth sense that something worse is wrong than just bad tiling?
I feel so sorry for them. They must have been so scared?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Oh dear Sanet what a horrible expereience not just for the dogs but you as well! this is called one-event learning and your dogs have really gotten a major fright. I would suggest that you contact somebody in your area that does TTouch as this will help them to overcome it that much quicker.
What you can do in-between is to slowly start to make the lounge a rewarding place for them to be in again. Depending on the dogs degree of fear, you will have to do it at a pace the dog is comfortable with. Start off using the dogs food - place the food bowl just outside the doorway and let the dog eat from there. Very slowly (and i do mean this, over at least a week if not longer)push the bowl further and further into the room until the dog is comfortable there with it. At the same time, toss some really tasty treats into the room (starting just by the door)and gradually toss them further and further in. When you do get the dogs in the lounge, make this a special time for you all and do some basic TTouch moves on the dogs which will help to relax them (there is in article on how to do these on the friendsofthedog site under an article called thinking of adopting a shelter dog) which you can start with.
Additionally your own body language and feelings like this will impact on the dogs. when you do walk into the room, forget what happened and laugh and sing. this may sound strange but singing and laughter lowers our own stress and will make the dogs more relaxed.
If you are not coming right with this, try putting the food bowl mentioned above on a piece of carpet in the doorway and gradually move this in as described above.
The Ttouch honesly makes such a difference, do consider this in order to have a quick resolution. Good luck!

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/06/13

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert