Question
Posted by: J | 2011/03/07

JR with new JR puppies

Good day,
Thank you very much for the valued advice to my previous post on socialising my two new pups. I have one further problem, I have two older (2 and a half years old) jack russells at home and one of them is a bit aggressive towards the pups, he growls and snaps at them if they come up to him and he darts at them when they run and pins them down wit his mouth almost as if they are prey. Both the older dogs have been neutered. and it is only the one reacting to the pups like this. How do I stop this behaviour as I need all the dogs to get along.

Thanks,
J

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi J, firstly so glad the advice helped and you are making progress, well done!

This is not such as easy one as you have to allow the dogs to sort out their relationship by themselves as much as possible, so there is a thin line as to when you step in.

You and the rest of the family are the pack leaders and as such, it is up to you to say what you do and do not accept.

Firstly, remember that in the dog world these little one's are the very bottom of the pack and should be greeted last, fed last, receive no more love and cuddling than the others - difficult i know!

I would suggest that you immediately implement some house rules to lift you and the family up in the family, by ignoring any demanding behaviour and getting all dogs to work for their living e.g. sit to be greeted, sit to eat etc.

As pack leaders we control all our dogs resources and there is no such thing a a democratic dog society.

Additionally, when your boy does perform towards the pups, shout a loud 'uhuh' and if he stops praise him profusely. You are then opening excellent lines of communication.

If he continues, take him by the collar and give him a time-out in the bathroom for no longer than 30 seconds. Dont talk to him, look at him or interact with him. The only time you leave him longer is if he barks/whines/scratches etc, then let him out THE SECOND he stops and ideally take him back to the same situation that caused the time out.

A time out is a negative form of punishment.

If this does not work I would suggest getting in a professional to help you. Unfortunately it is impossible on a forum such as this to give you all the different things you need to do.

If need be, contact me privately, my details are on the CV section in this site.

Good luck J and please dont hesitate to shout if you do need more help. I firmly believe that prevention is better than cure and there is no shame in getting help. Take care, Scotty

2
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/03/08

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert
Posted by: Schnoodle | 2011/03/07

Is this not just a dominance thing?

Reply to Schnoodle