Question
Posted by: J | 2012/02/14

JR sleeping through the night

Hi there,
Please can you help, my 1 year old male jack russel still doesn''t sleep through the night he quite often wakes me up at 1 or 2 am to go outside. I dont understand it as the other dog will sleep through. he gets fed fairly early and I remove the water at 7pm so he cant have any more and yet he still howls to go outside. How can I get him out of this habbit.
Thanks,

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Joanne! Very first thing when dealing with a concern like this is to observe his daytime elimination patterns. If he is going to the toilet too much there may be an underlying physical problem and a vet visit is necessary. By seeing how often he does go will give your vet an idea is elimination is too often.
If the dog is sleeping with you, try getting him to sleep either in a crate or another room. A crate is not at all cruel and one of the easiest ways to break a habit like this. The dog initially is desensitized to the crate. If you are interested in this side of things, there are articles on crate training on my site www.friendsofthedog.co.za. Before you follow through with the rest of this, make sure dog is happy sleeping in another area, or crate first.

Next, if all ok on the physical side, it could well have become a habit but I feel you are taking the water away too early. Rather take away about 9.30/10 p.m. and for a few nights go to bed a bit later and make sure you take him out for eliminations purposes just before you do. Pop in a large sized, nice chew toy for him in the area where he is sleeping. If the dog does wake up, totally ignore him as hard as this may be. It can take a few days to break the habit and you may have some sleepless nights, but if not a physical problem, then it is a habit and the only way to break it is to ignore it.Dont talk, interact or anything at all.
The dog has found a way of getting your attention and it is working. thats why it is easier to have him in another area or in a crate. Sorry, but if no physical problems this really is the easiest way to solve this!

2
Posted by: Joanne | 2012/02/14

Thanks! He does sleep in a crate and this is why he howls to get out because he cant go out on his own. I will try ignoring him and see if that helps.

Reply to Joanne
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/02/14

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert