Question
Posted by: J | 2012-03-26

JR licking sunscreen off

Good Day,
Please can you assist. I have been instructed by my vet to put sunscreen on my jack russell''s bellies to stop them burning and getting skin cancer, however as soon as I put it on they lick it off again. how can I prevent them doing this?
Thansk,
J

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi J, the only think I can think off, is either putting on an Elizabethan collar (which is not nice for them!), or perhaps check with your vet if you can add in a bit of pure Citronella oil to the sunscreen. This normally stops dogs licking and chewing on surfaces and is honestly the only thing I can think off. Your vet may have some idea and would be better to check with him first - you need to make sure that whatever you put on cant irritate the skin further. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012-03-27

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert