Question
Posted by: TC | 2011/02/11

JR killing birds

My mom has a 6 month JR. He killed his first bird at 12 weeks of age and his hunting abilties have just got better as he has got older. I know it is his natural instinct, but how do we stop him doing it.

Your advice would be greatly appricated.

It is unfortunately a naturly instinct in Terrier Breeds . If you see nhim stalking the birds the try an spray him with a water spray or distract him with a shaker can ( tin 1/2 filled with coins/ pebbles). When he looks towards you praise him , giving him treats - this is not a quick fix just be consistent and persitant

3
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/17

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/11

Look at Question 159 entitled Cat Killer. Same applies here.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: anon | 2011/02/11

I have a 7 month old JR. What I have learnt is that they do things like hunting and digging holes because they are bored. Get him some toys, different shapes and sizes. They love them. Mine is ball crazy. He goes mad without it.
Good luck - they are a hand full but so lovable.

Reply to anon