Question
Posted by: Riaan | 2012/06/07

JR - Couch attack

Good Day

I have two Jack Russels, about 5 months old now. They are house trained, and has access to both the house and the garden via the doggie door which I have installed. They generally play with all their toys, and they are well behaved. They do however have one nasty habbit which I don''t know how to break.

As soon as I leave them alone, even if I leave the house for 10 minutes, they run up to my loft, and starts a war with my couch. When I come back, the entire loft looks like snow with hollow fibre spread all over.

They only do this when I am not at home, so I can never catch them in the act.

I have a 3 bedroom house with a garden, so the dogs have more than enough space, but that couch seem to interest them. And they get more than enough attention, they even sleep in the bed with me.

What causes this behaviour? And what can I do to save my couch?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Riaan, nice to hear from you! If your dogs are only engaging in this behaviour when you are out, then unfortunately you have separation anxiety happening!

One of the defining features of this anxiety is that it only happens when the owner is out. You really do need to deal with this as quickly as possibly as it can, and does get worse. I honestly prefer people to do this under the guidance of a behaviourist, and preferably one that does TTouch, as it can and does take a lot of time and effort on the owners part to rectify. the recommendations for changing this behaviour are lengthy, so instead of trying to put them here, I have supplied you with a link to my free website where you will get all the info to get started.

If you punish the dogs for this behaviour, all that will happen is that they will get more stressed. Rather realize that there is a problem afoot and address it from this view.

if you do decide to go the route of getting in help, please let me know which area you live in and I will put you in touch with somebody I know and trust. Nice to hear from you and good luck!

http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/separation-anxiety-in-dogs-by-scotty-valadao-ndash-accredited-animal-behaviourist-abc-of-satrade-ndash-ttouch-practitioner.html

3
Posted by: Riaan | 2012/06/18

Thank you for the comments, highly appreciated. I will have a look at the website in the meantime.

I live in Centurion, so I would appreciate if you can put me in touch with someone in this area who will be able to assist.

Riaan

Reply to Riaan
Posted by: Tasha | 2012/06/10

Riaan, does sound like separation behaviour for sure. I wonder if it would help if you blocked the stairway to the loft, not only when you go out but all the time, so they get used to it. Only allow your doggies in the loft when you are there and can watch them.
It sounds like a hassle to do but at 5 months old they are still full of mischief. As they grow older this behaviour hopefully will stop.

Reply to Tasha
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/06/08

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert