Posted by: Zuzi | 2009-03-20

Jose Frizl

I' m trying to very hard to close my eyes and picture this man, who keep his own daught in the cellar for 24years and fathered 7 children with her. How did he provide food for them, clothe' s toiletry, does ever Elizabeth( his daught ) attend any clinic during all her pregnancies, who help her to deliver the babies.

I have LOTs and LOTs, of qoutions about how did he manager to keep the secret for 24years?

I've written a couple of pieces about Fritzl, which I hope H24 will put online within the coming days. If you do a google search on "Fritzl" you'll find loads of material which will answer your factual questions.
As CP Mom says, one must question how his wife could be so dumb as to have had no questions and to have meekly accepted all his explanations. I"m troubled by what a weird trial this was, seemingly more aimed at covering up such questions than at discovering all the truth. It is hard to believe that nobody saw anything over 24 years ! But he always had an explanation. A tenant upstairs who heard thumping from the basement, was told it was a noise from the heating or hot water system.
Goebbels, Hitler's Minister of Propaganda pointed out that the bigger the lie the more likely it was to be accepted. We don't want to believe ugly truths, and can be surprisingly eager to be deceived.
I think it is ridiculous to put him in a hospital, as even the odd psychiatrist who testified agreed that he had no psychiatric illness ( only a personality disorder ) yet insisted he should be "treated" --- for what ?
It may seem impossible that the children could survive unscathed, but though some children are very vulnerable and damaged by relatively minor traumas, many are incredibly resilient and survive horrors during warfare, for instance, and grow to be pleasant and healthy adults. Much will probably depend on how the mother, Elisabeth treated them, then and now, and she sounds like a wholesomely sensible and caring person, which would make a major difference.
The frightening thing as that while he is an extreme example, there are not a few people who similarly consider others as not really people, and merely as objects to be used to their own satisfaction.

Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-20

He might not have cared. Or perhaps the info is in his will. Who knows?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: FD | 2009-03-20

You know what baffles me? The fact that it never crossed his mind that: what if something happens to me &  I die instantly  what will become of those lives in the secret house? With no one knowing they exist and no one to give them food  they would just eventually die....

Reply to FD
Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-20

CS, what chance do those kids have of ever living a " normal"  life? The psychological damage done to them must be devastating.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: CP MOM | 2009-03-20

How dis he build this bunker without his family' s knowledge? and then if they did now how come no-one ever went there?

I suppose one can go on and on

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: Wendy | 2009-03-20

I' m actually busy reading the book " Monstor"  about this monstor. The book is probably one of the most horrific ones I have read. He is very domineering man and he thought things through for a good year before he even captured her. He built the cellar with her in mind. He is a calculating bastard that deserves to be ripped apart by other inmates not stuck in a hospital for the rest of his life. He has broken everyone around him especially his daughter. But kudo' s to his daughter who was strong enough to survive the damage done to her and still be able to support her children. Regarding the food he went on weekends and when his wife was away to other towns to buy groceries and then snuck them into the cellar in the early hours of the morning so nobody would see him. Disgusting!

Reply to Wendy
Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-20

I have spent a fair bit of time thinking about this horror, and how he managed to get away with it. Clearly he is an extremely manipulate and ruthless person and I think it' s quite possible that he dominated the " upstairs"  family to such an extent that they wouldn' t dare to ask questions even if something seemed a bit strange to them. He would probably become really aggressive if questioned. As for the groceries, perhaps he brought it in on weekdays when his wife and kids were at work and school, or on Sunday morning when they went to church? This guy is an engineer, he is intelligent and obsessive and clearly good at planning and implementing his plans.

I' ve had the disfortune to know a man, coincidentally also an engineer, who abused boys for years. One of the reasons why he got away with it was because individuals who suspected something was wrong found the idea so abhorrent that they never shared it with anyone. Us humans have a great capacity for lying to ourselves about things that we don' t feel we can face.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: CP MOM | 2009-03-20

I' d love to hear CS' s remarks on this guy....

How did the wife not know?
Was it so sound proof that no one heard anything ever?
and yes, how did he take the food etc down and no one ever saw?

I do not believe it at all.

Reply to CP MOM